Seven senior high schools in the Western Region have recorded cases of coronavirus, the Regional Health Director has confirmed.
Speaking on News 360 on TV3 on Saturday, Dr Jacob Mahama said the reports were picked by the respective district health directorates.
He said the various students in question showed symptoms of the disease and their samples were immediately taken after quarantine.
The samples were brought to Accra for tests, he told host Issa Monnie, and “we had the results yesterday.”
While some tested negative, a few others tested positive, Dr Mahama said.
All the students who had their samples returning positive were asked to isolate for treatment.
The schools involved are Nsein SHS, Shama SHS, Adiembra SHS, and Ahantaman Girls’ SHS.
The rest are Archbishop Porter Girls’ SHS, St John’s SHS and Diabene SHS.
Dr Mahama said the social distancing protocol has been recommended to be strictly enforced in all schools in the Western Region.
Contact-tracing is ongoing, he noted, but students in affected schools are being given basic Vitamin C tablets as part of managing the situation.
On Sunday, May 31, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo announced the reopening of all high schools as well as tertiary institutes to final-year students to complete their academic work.
Tertiary students resumed on Monday, June 15, senior high school students went back on Monday, June 22 and junior high schools reopened on Monday, June 22.
Since then, cases of the virus have been recorded in some schools.
This has led to heightened calls for the closure of these schools.
But the Ghana Education Service (GES) says it is liaising with the Ghana Health Service (GHS) for a definite decision to be taken.
Source: 3news.com|GhanaRead Full Story