A 33-year-old trader, Latifa Salifu, has been remanded into police custody by the Gender-Based Violence Court (GBVC) at the Police Headquarters over allegations of child stealing.
The prosecution, led by Chief Inspector Opoku Aniagyei, told the court that the accused is suspected to be part of a criminal syndicate involved in baby theft and could not have acted alone.
When the case was called, Salifu was charged with a single count of child stealing. Her plea was not taken.
The court subsequently remanded her into custody to reappear on March 4, 2026, as investigations continue.
Presenting the facts, the prosecutor stated that the complainant, Abigail Gudjinu, is the Unit Head of the Theatre Recovery Ward at Mamprobi Hospital.
According to the prosecution, the incident began on February 14, 2026, when a 29-year-old woman, Precious Ankomah, delivered a baby boy through a caesarean section at the facility.
The baby was later diagnosed with jaundice, and the mother was informed of a possible referral to Korle Bu Teaching Hospital for further treatment.
The court heard that on February 17, 2026, at about 4:00 a.m., while the mother was still at the recovery ward, a woman dressed in a peach-coloured scrub uniform allegedly posed as a nurse, approached the victim’s bed, examined both mother and child, and left.
At about 6:00 a.m. the same day, the accused reportedly returned under the pretext of administering medication to the baby.Approximately ten minutes later, a nurse on duty questioned the mother about the child’s whereabouts.
The mother then indicated that the woman had taken the baby.Hospital staff immediately conducted a search but could not locate either the accused or the child.A formal complaint was subsequently lodged with the Mamprobi Police.
The prosecution further told the court that on February 18, 2026, at about 3:40 a.m., a whistleblower alerted the Dansoman Police that the accused had been spotted with the missing baby at Korle Bu.
A police patrol team moved in and arrested Salifu, recovering the child.Chief Inspector Aniagyei informed the court that in her cautioned statement, the accused admitted taking the baby under false pretences and fleeing with the child. Investigations, he said, are still ongoing to establish whether other persons were involved.
The prosecution strongly opposed bail, arguing that the alleged offence appeared to have been orchestrated by more than one person.
Defence counsel Hamisu Muhammad pleaded with the court to grant bail, describing the accused as not being a flight risk. Counsel told the court that Salifu is a mother of two boys, aged seven and ten, and has no prior criminal record.
He further argued that the accused lacked the means to interfere with investigations or abscond.
Citing Article 19 of the Constitution, the defence maintained that the accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty and assured the court that Salifu would make herself available.
After hearing both sides, the court ruled that the accused be remanded, noting that the case remains under investigation.
For more news, join The Chronicle Newspaper channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbBSs55E50UqNPvSOm2z
The post Alleged Baby Thief Remanded as Prosecution Suspects Syndicate appeared first on The Ghanaian Chronicle.
Read Full Story
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Google+
YouTube
LinkedIn
RSS