The training was facilitated by personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), Legon station.
The exercise lasted for over two hours and consisted of theory and practical rudiments of fighting fire.
Speaking on the rationale for the exercise, the Registrar of the Nursing and Midwifery Council, Mr Felix Nyonte, explained that the training was to equip staff on the basic fire prevention methods, especially at the workplace.
He said fire outbreaks could be prevented; however, the lack of training on firefighting tended to endanger lives when there was a fire outbreak at home or at the workplace.
He commended the facilitators for the practical way they educated the staff and requested the GNFS to regularly make such training programmes available to staff to secure life and property.
The District Fire Officer of the University of Ghana Fire Station, Legon, DO1 Harriet Anyeley Nunoo, advised that every home and workplace should have appropriate fire extinguishers.
She said the extinguisher could be used at the beginning stages of a fire to avoid escalation and subsequent damage to lives and property.
DO1 Nunoo explained that the extinguisher should not be seen to be expensive, because it was a good investment, considering the cost of fire outbreak.
Other officials of the GNFS also advised the staff to avoid overloading their main sockets and extension boards as that could cause overheating and subsequently trigger a fire outbreak, adding that although extension boards may have spaces to plug in enough appliances, it was not always safe to do so.
Some staff of the council who took part in the training expressed gratitude to the authorities of the GNFS and management of the council for providing the training programme.
They noted that it was very important that everyone remained vigilant to ensure that their emergency exits were clear of any obstruction at all times for a safe and quick evacuation in case of any emergency. Read Full Story