The oil, which had expired last month, was part of a package of relief items presented by the vice-president.
NADMO officials say the oil had been isolated in a warehouse and was supposed to have been disposed of, but they were mistakenly added to the relief items when they were being loaded onto a vehicle for distribution.
They are currently in the region to retrieve the expired oil.
Meanwhile, there are reports of people having stomach upsets after consuming the oil.
NADMO spokesman George Ayisi told the BBC that they are yet to confirm whether their condition is directly linked to consumption of the cooking oil.
Members of Ghana's main opposition party have called for an investigation into how the mistake was made.
The recent floods in northern Ghana have killed more than 30 people and displaced thousands of others.
Read Full Story