Government has asked the public to disregard reports that some Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) of state institutions have been sacked.
Recently, a list of eight of these CEOs was viral on social media suggesting that they have been relieved of their position latest by March 2019 due to old age.
But addressing the media in Accra today, Monday, Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, insisted that the decision to disengage any public official although routine, lies solely within the powers of the President through laid down procedures.
“Government advises the general public and institutional stakeholders to disregard a list of CEOs circulating as having been sacked on account of age. The general public is therefore advised to disregard media reportage that these persons have been ordered to vacate posts on account of their age.”
“Engagements between Government and CEOs of State Owned enterprises are routine. While it remains the prerogative of the President to engage or disengage the services of CEOs of State Owned Enterprises, he exercises such powers after the necessary requisite engagements, he added.
It emerged that the eight CEOs were set to be replaced in the coming months. The list of the affected CEOs included:
- Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie, 65 years CEO of the Forestry Commission.
- Eugene Ofosuhene, 67 years – Controller and Accountant General,
- Kofi Jumah, 68 years – CEO of Ghana Industrial Holding Corporation (GIHOC)
- Isaac Osei, 67 years – CEO of Tema Oil Refinery (TOR)
- Kwame Owusu, 67 years – CEO of Ghana Maritime Authority
- Anthony Nsiah-Asare, 65 years – Director General of the Ghana Health Service
- Samuel Annor, 64 years – CEO of the National Health Insurance Authority
- K Sarpong, 65 years – CEO of the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC)
What the law says
The Public Service Act mandates public officers to retire from public service after attaining the age of 60.
The Act, however, allows for an extension of about five years if the President so wishes.
By: citinewsroom.com | Ghana
The post State agency CEOs not sacked over old age – Oppong Nkrumah appeared first on Citi Newsroom.Read Full Story