King Charles III has released a statement after his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Earlier, Thames Valley Police released a separate statement saying it had arrested a man in his 60s.
It comes after police said they were assessing a complaint over the alleged sharing of confidential material with late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Andrew has previously denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein; he has not responded to the BBC’s requests for comment on any of the specific allegations in relation to the release of millions of Epstein files in January.
Here are both statements in full:
King’s statement
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter.
“Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.
“Charles R.”
Thames Valley Police’s statement
“As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
“The man remains in police custody at this time.
“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.
“Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
“‘It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.'”
SOURCE:BBC
For more news, join The Chronicle Newspaper channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbBSs55E50UqNPvSOm2z
The post Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office as King says ‘law must take its course’ appeared first on The Ghanaian Chronicle.
Read Full Story
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Google+
YouTube
LinkedIn
RSS