On Tuesday, some 35 students were admitted at the Adabraka Polyclinic for complaining of stomach discomfort after eating food served by the school. Doctors at the facility after a series of laboratory tests concluded that food poisoning was the cause of the students’ condition.
Thirty of the admitted students were treated and discharged on Wednesday while the remaining five are responding to treatment.
Meanwhile, preliminary findings by the FDA reveal that the affected students consumed Kenkey, fish and fresh pepper sauce prepared under the school feeding programme at the school, which they suspect could be the causative diet.
Speaking on Newsnite with Evans Mensah on Wednesday, Head of Food Safety Management at the FDA, Jocelyn Adeline Amusah said “we have been to the school and we are continuing with our investigations. We will continue tomorrow [Thursday] to find out more about the source to get to the bottom of it.”
Ms. Jocelyn Amusah also explained that her outfit will further assess the conditions under which the said diet was prepared as part of efforts to determine the root of the incident and avert its recurrence.
She also added that the FDA will extend its assessment to other students of the school “because some others may have probably suffered illnesses but did not report to the hospital.”
However, Headmaster of the Accra High School, Kwabena Baidoo, is assuring guardians and the general public of the safety of their children as calm is restored to campus.
“There is no epidemic in Accra High School. I want to assure the whole nation that Accra High School is safe.” Read Full Story