The suspects who are mostly youthful males were arrested by the Police and charged with unlawful assembly, rioting and kidnapping were brought before the court presided over by Mr. Sylvester Nii Okai Ablor.
They all pleaded not guilty and the Court granted them bail in the sum of GhC 10,000.00 each with two sureties each to be justified and would reappear on Monday, June 3, 2019, whiles they are to report to the Police twice every week.
Meanwhile, Chief Inspector Augustine Kingsley Oppong, the Public Relations Officer for the Bono East and Ahafo Regions Police Command, confirmed to the Ghana News Agency on Thursday in Sunyani that 51 suspects were initially arrested but five of them were released after screening.
He said the Police on Tuesday evening had information that irate youth were burning vehicle tyres on the road and throwing missiles, agitating over the knocking down of a male resident in the community by a vehicle.
Chief Inspector Oppong said the Police went to the scene to restore law and order and to allow for free movement of vehicles.
He said shortly after the Police had left the scene, they received a report that one of the officers left behind to ensure peace at the place had been kidnapped locked up in a kiosk.
He said the Police went back to rescue the captured Officer but the youth attacked and smashed the windscreen of one of their vehicles with registration number GP 4939. Chief Inspector Oppong said that the youth in that community undertook a similar protest three weeks ago to express their displeasure, following alleged loss of lives through vehicle knockdowns in the community.
He advised the youth to refrain from acting contrary to the law, saying the Police did not have any interest in harassing civilians but existed to maintain peace in the society.
Read Full Story