“Northern Volta covers 59% land size of the Volta Region, whereas the remaining 41% is covered by Southern Volta, yet still we are woefully underdeveloped” he said.
Major Abu Safiano Baba (RTD), said the creation will give the people in the Oti enclave the opportunity to manage and monitor the progress and growth of their community.
“The creation of the new regions does not affect traditional boundaries, it is strictly for administrative purposes” he said. According to him, the discrimination is evident in all aspects of the administrative running of the Region.
“For instance, there are 26 districts in the region, 18 are in Southern Volta and we have only 8, there are 16 nursing and midwifery colleges, the south has 15 and we have only 1, these are few of the many more examples of why we need Oti Region” he said.
The Chief of Kete Community was optimistic that, contrary to suggestions made by naysayers, the creation of Oti Region will not fuel tribal and ethnical wars.
Major Abu Safiano Baba (RTD) was speaking at a press conference in Accra on Wednesday.
Read Full Story