ABUJA, Aug. 7 (Xinhua/GNA) - A village head and six others were beheaded when suspected Boko Haram fighters stormed a village in northeastern Nigeria to wreak havoc, according to local residents on Tuesday.
The attackers also set ablaze the village of Munduri in the northern state of Borno, causing pandemonium in the settlement late Monday, said Baba Ali Daudu, a resident.
"They killed our Sarkin (village head) and his wife. And killed five others. Our entire village has been set ablaze," Daudu said.
Sources told Xinhua that the attackers came in motorcycles and trucks. Some of the residents returned Tuesday morning to an empty village, which is located about 15 km north of Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State.
One villager identified as Musa Mohammed said all his livestock were burned, so also were his food supplies and those of many other villagers.
No official has so far given a statement on the attack.
Terror group Boko Haram is suspected to have carried out the attack. The group has been blamed for the death of over 20,000 people mostly in the northeast region of Nigeria since 2009. Enditem
GNARead Full Story